Thursday, September 9, 2010

Tangy Lemon Tea Cookies

I woke up this morning thinking of how I should drown my football-related sorrows, and I figured I would do it with baking! Yes, this is me being overdramatic about Spain losing in their friendly against Argentina yesterday. But let's face it, it's not like we saw the Spain that we know (no Iker, no Sergio, no Xavi?!). And because of that loss, I am permanently traumatized every time Iker is not the goalkeeper. Not to take anything away from Pepé, we have to admit Iker is always the safer choice because he's got the experience (And this coming from someone who likes both Real Madrid and Liverpool).

But if there's one important lesson I learned, it's that I would like to shove my foot down the throat of the people who say Xabi Alonso is not Captain material. Puh-lease

On the upside, the U-21 team won against Poland in a Euro qualifier thanks to Sergio Canales! That guy has a bright future ahead of him. He's my age and he's already a star footballer. Makes me think about what significant thing I've done all these years... And also, my pichichi scored a goal for Argentina! I have to say I love Gonzalo Higuain more and more everyday! And even though Argentina's keeper scares me a bit, to see Gabi Heinze was a treat for me, though I do miss Puyi and his luscious locks. And Messi finally cut his hair short[er], though I could tell you what's messy is the hairdont's the other Argentine players are sporting, as was pointed out by unamadridista. I got to get the name of the salon where Carlos Tevez gets his hair electrocuted.

In any case, thank goodness International Duty is over for now. And I just hope Alvaro tweets again because I miss him, and it seems he's taking this loss pretty heavily considering he usually tweets like crazy. On Saturday we will see Real Madrid back in action against Osasuna in their debut at the Bernabéu! Everyone is dubbing them the "new" Real Madrid. Eh, I just want Benzema and Higuain to go on a scoring spree. And of course if Xabi decides to do a couple who am I to complain?!

The reason why I decided to make these Lemon Tea Cookies were simple. I was craving something lemony. And yes I was bored, and yes there were some leftover lemons in the fridge calling out to me. The other day my Mum brought home some my favorite Lemon Squares but she also ate them all without asking me if I wanted more. Of course I did! I just ate one square! :( But yeah, my Mum loves that stuff too and she teases me about making Lemon Squares, because I've failed before and I'm still looking for the perfect recipe. But let's not talk about the lemon squares, let's talk about these cookies.

They were really really easy to make. And these were literally cookies you consume with tea because they were kind of flaky when you bite into them. The lemon drop on top makes them really yummy, especially if you're into pastries with lemon. I had mine with a cup of Milk Tea and the sensation of the cookies in your mouth when they get wet is totally worth it! I wouldn't suggest the cookies to be eaten alone though. They don't taste like anything except butter, and the sugar is pretty minimal so it's not a sweet kind of butter cookie either. I guess you can eat it with your favorite jam, but I would recommend eating it with the lemon drop/filling. 

Lemon Tea Cookies
Yields at least 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients for the cookies:
1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tspn vanilla
1 2/3 cups flour
1 tbsp. powdered sugar (for dusting)

Procedure for the cookies:
In the mixer bowl, beat cookies, powdered sugar and vanilla at medium speed until well-blended. Stir in flour until the dough forms. Cover the dough and refrigerated for about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven at 350F and take out dough from the fridge. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place them about 2 inches apart from each other. Use your thumb to push down the center of each ball to make a deep indentation. Make it a bit deep because as it bakes, the cookies kind of puff up and expand a little.

Bake for around 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to cooling racks and cool completely. In the meantime, do the filling.

Ingredients for the lemon filling:
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tspn. grated lemon peel
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (around 1 and 1/2 lemons)
1 tbsp. butter
1 tspn. cornstarch
1/4 tspn. salt
1 egg, beaten

Procedure:
In a saucepan, heat all the filling ingredients over low heat, constantly stirring to avoid burning and clumping. The mixture will gradually turn smooth and thick after about 25 minutes. Cool for about 15 minutes before handling.

Fill each cookie's indentation with the lemon filling shaped using a 1/4 measuring spoon. Sprinkle the 1 tablespoon powdered sugar over the cookies.

And now comes the best part: CONSUME! These cookies didn't even last a day in our home. My brothers are vultures. I had to hide away a few pieces so my Dad could have a taste. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment